Friday, 29 August 2014

{My Handmade Wardrobe} Sweatshirt with Lace Shoulder Panels

First of all, apologies for the unscheduled blogging break. After sewing and blogging up a storm during the last Kid's Clothing Week, truth be told I felt like I needed a bit of a breather. Also we had a bit of sickness and other busyness that comes with Wintertime, running a family and life in general. I haven’t really taken that much of a break from sewing (just from blogging) and I still need to spend time tidying my sewing space; BUT I’ve been focusing a bit of my sewing time on ME which is a nice change.

Recently, I made myself a pair of shorts, which I haven’t had a chance to photograph properly yet (bring on Spring and Summer) … but if you follow me on Instagram (@mendandmakenew) you may have seen a couple of sneak peeks.

And then last night I made myself this sweatshirt!

DSC_0014-002DSC_0024-002DSC_0015-003DSC_0018-003

I’m really happy with how this top turned out, particularly given the fact that I used a kid’s pattern! Yes! The pattern I used was the Streetsmart Sweatshirt Collection  from Little Kiwi’s Closet, which I was lucky enough to pattern test early last month. I clearly LOVE this pattern because counting the 4 versions I made when testing, 3 I made during KCW and this one now I have made this pattern 8 times in the space of a couple of months and all versions have been quite different than each other!!! … And I haven’t even tried the high low hem or other variations yet!

I’ve been dreaming of a top like this ever since I made Isabelle’s lace front one (below) but I didn’t quite have enough of the lace (from a thrifted top) to do a whole front – hence the shoulder panels. The grey sweat-shirting fabric was also thrifted so this top was as cheap as chips. (Bonus!)

I used the size 12 years kid’s pattern as a starting point (this pattern goes from size NB- 12years and is unisex – super versatile, right?) I altered it slightly by adding 2.5cm on the fold line on both the back and front pieces (thus adding 5cm to each of those pieces width) and I also added 5cm extra to the bottom of all pieces including the sleeves. I also added a further 5cm to the length of the neckline ribbing to allow for the increased width. (I’m a size NZ women’s 8-10 normally, in case you wondered.) It was kind of a fluke that the size turned ok, and when I asked Isabelle if making a size 12 was a good idea she said “No Mum, I think you need a size hundred” (the biggest size she can imagine) – well, gee thanks, Sweetie!

DSC_0019DSC_0013-002

Now I can’t wait to make a whole bunch more … along with a whole of other things!

(I have a selfish sewing plans and inspiration post half started in my drafts folder – so hopefully I publish that before everything is already made! It seems I can sew faster than I can blog these days!)

What have you sewed lately!

x

2 comments:

Anamika Sureka said...

this looks cool.. nice

http://www.babypregnancycare.com/5-ways-design-babys-room/

http://www.babypregnancycare.com/6-baby-products-new-mom-can-without/

Leonie said...

It looks great! Love the shoulder patches - makes it that much more feminine and "grown up"! Not a hundred though ;)