The other day I had the bright idea to host a ‘Handmade Kids Clothing Swap’ – after all, I personally love making kid’s clothes and also love swaps – so it seemed like a match made in heaven.
I wondered if others would agree, so I put the idea out there on Facebook and it seemed that quite a few of you agreed … so here we are!
Here is the low down on how this swap is going to work:
- This swap is open to NZ and Australians. You have the option to request a ‘local’ swap partner from your country if you prefer, but it can be such a fun way to make new friends/ discover new blogs … and kids clothes can package up pretty small, right?
- The ‘kids’ age range is 0-10 years. (I am open to changing this, but thought I’d need to set an age limit somewhere.)
- The expectation is that you will make ONE nicely finished handmade garment. If you want to generously make a set (say of PJs, or a couple of items) that is fine, but please don’t necessarily expect that in return. Unless, you are making a smaller garment ie: bibs or booties in which case it might be a nice idea to make a couple of items.
- YES, you can choose to sign up TWICE, this would mean sending out TWO separate parcels to different partners and receiving TWO in return. If you want to do this, please submit 2 separate forms
- You choose your method of making – feel free to sew, knit or crochet.
- In case it’s not already clear I should state that is is a swap for a NEW, HANDMADE garment made by YOU (not for a second-hand item made by someone else – a nice idea too, but perhaps one for a different swap!)
- I want makers of all levels and stages to feel comfortable joining in with this swap. If you are a beginner then it may be a good idea to seek help from an experienced friend, and also pick a simple project that you can finish to a nice standard. I hope to do some blog posts in the lead up with some simple projects and ideas. For those of you experienced at sewing/ knitting, you may get partnered up with someone less experienced. Please be patient with those earlier on this creative journey – after all we’ve all been there!
I think that is everything, so without further ado … HERE IS THE SIGN UP SHEET!
KEY DATES (and other matters):
You will have one week to sign up ending 11 May 2014.
I will then spend a few days organising swap partners and email everyone involved and then you will have ONE MONTH to make your item(s); with the last day for postage being 16 June 2014.
I hope to do some fun blog posts – and if you would like to do a GUEST POST with a tutorial or sewing tips please let me know; OR likewise if you are a small crafty business that would like to contribute anything for a GIVEAWAY please let me know too. My email address is noahandisy(at)gmail(dot)com.
If you have a blog/ Facebook page I would LOVE you to spread the word about this swap – the more participants the merrier! And use hashtag #Handmadekidsclothingswap2014 on instagram or twitter.
YAY … I think that’s all, (if I’ve missed anything PLEASE let me know!)
This is going to be fun!