This was supposed to be a simple blog post celebrating winter through the deliciousness that is apple/ fruit crumble (perhaps the world’s best winter comfort food); however a certain set of events changed all that…
…(more on that later.)
To make your own delish fruit crumble…
- Step 1: Prepare your fruit – Tonight I used apple, tinned peaches and bananas (sounds weird but it’s great.) Last year our feijoa tree provided such a bumper crop that I used fruit that I had scooped out and frozen earlier long after they were out of season. Sadly our tree didn’t produce much this year.
Peel, and cut as necessary and put in a casserole dish.
- Step 2: Make your crumble, (I basically follow the Alison Holst spiced fruit crumble recipe):
Mix 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and rub in 75 g cold butter, cut into cubes. (I also add a bit of coconut.)
Spread over the prepared fruit.
- Step 3: Bake at 190 degrees C for 45 mins
To make the variation ‘Fruit Tumble’ follow the next couple of steps!
- Step 4: After dishing yourself a nice bowl of the crumble and a side of yoghurt, carry it over to the table.
- Step 5: Catch sight of your freshly bathed bub getting messy with yoghurt and in doing so …
- Step 6: … accidently drop the contents of your bowl all over the chair and floor!
Voila you have fruit tumble!
What is your favourite Winter comfort food?